corrie va a chile

here it is, my travels in south america, centered in chile. see accompanying photos at flickr.com/photos/corriegrrl

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Déja vu

Well, just about this time last year, we received the bad news that an execution date had been set for California death row inmate and dear comrade Kevin Cooper. We got to working fast, and the state did not murder him in February. But now, they're at it again, and it's bad Christmas news. Even if you don't live in California, you can harass Ah-nold all you want, we need all the help we can get. Below I am posting the alert Crystal sent out--OH! and below that is my personal blog about what I'm up to, so read on:

The State of California has set an execution date of January 19th for death row inmate Donald Beardslee. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has granted him one more hearing, and there is a chance he could be saved from execution there. But anti-death penalty activists should start mobilizing now and show the state of California that we oppose this and all executions. The state Senate has just established a commission to study the flaws of the death penalty system--we need to demand a moratorium on ALL executions while this study is taking place! To read a news article on Beardslee visit:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/12/17/BAGN6ADC7M1.DTL

What can you do??

1. Join the Bay Area Anti-Death Penalty Coalition Emergency meeting Tuesday, January 4th, 6:30 pm, Haymarket Books Library, 110 Capp street, San Francisco. We want to show our opposition to this execution and try to stop it. Planning is already in the works for a press conference/rally the week before the scheduled execution. Want to help plan this or other events before the 4th, have more ideas about what we could do? Call 510-938-2033 or e-mail camconnect101@yahoo.com.

2. Write a letter to the editor You can visit: https://calmail.berkeley.edu/Redirect/dir.yahoo.com/News_and_Media/Newspapers/By_Region/U_S__States/California/Complete_List/ For a list of all the California newspapers. Find one in your area, and go to their website for how to send in a letter to the editor. You can address Beardslee, the commission, or the death penalty in general. For materials on these subjects, visit www.2flawed2fix.org

3. Call/E-mail/Fax your representatives Contact Governor Schwarzenegger and tell him that you are opposed to the execution.Phone: 916-445-2841Fax: 916-445-4633To send an Electronic Mail please visit:http://www.govmail.ca.gov

4. Circulate this e-mail to all your friends, family, and co-workers. Stay in touch with activists by visiting www.2flawed2fix.org for news and updates.

**********************the blog of the day***********************

Got "home" but muerta (dead, tired in this case) last night and napped for awhile while I finished reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which I picked up at a book exchange at the hostel in Puerto Montt (excellent book and too quick of a read, unfortunately) and rested for awhile. The family got home after 11, and we had a lovely dinner, including some champagne I picked up, which was quite a hit. Even though I won't be with my family, family for Christmas, I have had so many special moments with surrogate families in South America, that it's actually OK. It's all about reaching beyond what you know, and though goddess knows (HA!) it's been a rough trek for me, it's all about growing (ahhhh).

Woke up at a reasonable hour today and took breakfast with Tía Milde (I forgot to mention, tía means "auntie" and is used instead of the more formal doña for a woman who is older and kind of auntie-like) and Abuelita Mercedes. I had to get to the bottom of the bicycle problem so that I could be sure I got my $8/day worth (turns out you can rent a bike on the island for about $5/day and it's a much better idea), so I called the scoundrel and he told me to go get the bike fixed (it shouldn't be more than $5) and we'd talk on Monday when I'm back on the mainland. I went and filed a complaint against him at the Sernatur (Servicio Nacional de Turismo) office in town, and hopefully I can get my money back.

Anyway, I was a little upset about all that mess, and I was invited to take lunch with the family again, so we ate well (lunch is the most important meal of the day here, breakfast is pésimo), and I decided to head out into the world at 4:30--on the bus to Castro, which is the other big city on the island.

I got here around 6:30 and found a good hostel (hey, can't beat $6 with cable TV) and took a little walk around town. Since it's Saturday, the big arts/seafood market was closed, as well as just about every other tourist attraction, so I just took a walk along the waterfront.

Here's what I like about Castro, even though it's urban: along the water, all the houses look normal from the street (though they are very, very humble), and in the back, they are held up by stilts. Can you imagine falling asleep to the sound of waves every night right below you (ahhh, the romantic gringo vision--I'm sure it's got it's drawbacks, like, say, tsunamis)...Also, all the houses on the island are very colorful and picturesque. With the lovely hills, it kind of looks like what I imagine Ireland must be like. Super green with dashes of color on the little houses.

Tomorrow I go to the market and churches and museums here and maybe a little tour to the national park a little ways from here. Then it's back up a little distance north to Dancahue, where there is a famous crafts market on Sunday mornings. From there, I'll take is a ferry over to a little island called Quinchao (all these indigenous names are hard to remember, huh?), which I think will be more like "typical" Chiloé, since it's rural. I think I might spend the night there and then head back through Ancud on Monday to collect the sad bicycle and the rest of my things. It's funny running around with my panniers (the bike bags) and no bike, but oh well. I'd like to go to a peña tonight, where there is typical chilote folk music, but safety first--I think it's some bad TV for me instead! Maybe I'll find the tango channel, which is almost like the autochthonous culture, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home